Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Get The Mood Right - The First Time

My newest order from Amazon arrived today!  I ordered "Project Happily Ever After," by Alisa Bowman (writer of a blog by the same title.)  I couldn't help myself.  Not only do I look forward to receiving her blog posts via email subscription, but it just felt good to buy a quality book from a fellow blogger.  Her focus is on creating a better marriage.  She is full of great ideas for those of us who need a little inspiration within our relationships.  Thus far I've only been able to read through to the second chapter, but I assure you there is time this evening set aside especially for reading it.

This morning I had a small epiphany as I was preparing to head to work.  I spent my morning dwelling on moods.  Since the birth of our son, I have mornings where I am horrible to deal with.  I freak out about the slightest things, and I will even rant and rave about things that aren't happening at that time.  Well, this morning was different.  (Perhaps... just maybe... it's because our son slept through the entire night which allowed us to catch up on sleep.)  When I woke up, I was in my initial dazed and confused period.  Nothing is coherent in my head at this point in my wake-up routine.  Once I use the bathroom and make some coffee, or rather get some coffee into my body, I am able to function.  I sat on the bed with my coffee and laptop.  I looked next to me at my beautiful fiance who was sleeping peacefully, and I thought, "Look at her.  I really love her."  That was all I needed to give myself a great day.  Nothing has been able to ruin it since that moment.

My epiphany was the realization that I can create the first mood of my day.  It doesn't come from the thoughts that ravage my mind.  It comes from what I see in front of me.  While some mornings it can be achieved by simply looking at my fiance, other mornings it comes from the smile of my son.  In the spring time, it usually happens when I notice the birds chirping outside my window.  With these moments in mind, I decided to look for ways to set the mood for my morning every day, because, let's face it, it's easy to have the winter blues!

1.  Leave a note.
Next to the bed, by the coffee pot, on the laptop - wherever it's going to be seen.  There have been times when my fiance would leave small notes for me in random places, and it never fails to make my day.  So, why wouldn't I be able to do this for myself?  All the note has to say is, "Be thankful for ______."  Fill in the blank.

2.  Read something inspirational before starting the day.
I am a blog-aholic.  There is no reason why I can't find one blog post every morning to read while drinking my cup of joe.  And even if I can't, I have this wonderful new book to read!  In the past, I have proven to myself the power of reading motivational blogs in the morning.  It really does something to put me on the right path.  If you would like to try this step but have never read a blog, I highly recommend Think Simple Now.  It is by far my favorite.  The author, Tina Su, has a great way with words, and after reading a few of her posts you will begin to feel like she is a friend of yours.  She is just so personable.

3.  Take a moment outdoors.
It's winter and a damn cold one where I live.  But there is still something great about taking a few minutes on my front porch to enjoy the peace of the world.  Walk out and take a breath of fresh air.  Look around without passing judgment in any way.  Enjoy being alive!

On that note, I am off to finish my wonderful day.  I hope everyone else is finding joy as well.

To read Think Simple Now, you can visit this link.  To check out the blog Project Happily Ever After, go here.  And if you would like to check out the book I purchased by Alisa Bowman, be sure to visit the Amazon link below.



2 comments:

Taradharma said...

a very timely post for me -- I am seeking (as is my wife) to improve our intimacy and friendship after 11 years together. I'll ck out this blog!!

And let me add, especially since you have a wee one now, remember to make time for an actual date!!

Dhargey Khandro said...

Thanks for the comment, and the advice as well! I have been thinking recently about this dating thing parents are supposed to have. So, with her birthday coming up this month, I made sure to plan a nice weekend for us away from home (but still close enough to get back if we freak out about being away from our son.) It can be hard sometimes to keep a close relationship. Getting away from normalcy can be a great help. I wish you the best in your journey to improve your relationship, and I strongly recommend Alisa's blog and/or book. :-)