Friday, August 29, 2008

Coming Back Around

It's strange how one stressful situation can turn a world upside down. I feel myself coming back to my normal self, and I must say I am absolutely thankful for it. I have learned quite a few things since my girlfriend has been in the hospital. She has been there for a little over a week now, but should be discharged sometime within the next few days. I have been spending time with her every day. Every free moment I had that wasn't being used to sleep or shower was spent beside her in that hospital room. It's still happening that way actually. Because I have chosen to approach the situation in this way, we have grown more fond of one another. We've also had nurses saying how they see husbands and wives visit their spouses for 5 minutes at a time every other day, and parents visit about every 3 days, but here I am visiting every single day... sometimes twice a day... and always for at least 2 hours. I don't do it for my own well-being, not at all. Really, it would have probably been more healthy for me to stay home more often. I would have been eating correctly and getting my much-needed mental stillness. Therefore, I could have been less stressed and frustrated over her physical dilemma. I know, however, that she was worse whenever there was no one there to take her mind off things. She and I had a few discussions about it. So, I decided I would help, by being there for her, as often as I could. I will continue to do so as long as she is stuck there. Words cannot describe how much I have come to love this woman.

In another light, now that she is getting a bit better and I am coming back from my negativity, things are glowing again around me. I feel lighter and stronger. Through this, I have realized just how much one can learn from a moment of suffering. It happens to me all the time. In fact, through periods of suffering, I have become extremely spiritual. It is the balance between the suffering and the positive mindset that most people have trouble finding. When you can look back on a situation, almost immediately, and realize what you are learning from it, you are well on your way to an enlightening experience.

Here's to embracing all parts of life...

1 comment:

Taradharma said...

thank you for stopping by my blog.

You are so right about suffering being an opportunity for growth and change. A motorcycle accident many years ago laid me up for 3 mos., and set me on a new path in so many ways!

I wish more people understood the 'silver lining' aspect of change and challenge.