Friday, August 20, 2010

Service

It's funny how I can walk into my day saying to myself, "This is totally going to suck," only to have it turn out well and sometimes even a bit fantastic.  Other days can go the opposite way.  Am I psyching myself out?  Is that what psyching yourself out means?  It's amazing what kind of things can transpire when you expect absolutely nothing.  Telling yourself it's going to be a beautiful day is like setting yourself up for disappointment when it rains a few hours later. (Maybe this is why I tend to thoroughly enjoy rainy days!)

Today I felt on top of the world after only a few minutes of what was supposed to be my "crappy" day.  I was delighted and cheerful with everyone I met.  Not a single thing ruined the mood.  How is it that we can encounter these kinds of mindsets and then regress later on?  We can be so knowledgeable to the way we would like to live our lives and yet turn back and do the exact opposite sometimes.  Moods fluctuate.  Change happens.  I can lift your spirits with a single smile or give you attitude that could potentially ruin your day.  This intertwining is so amazingly powerful.

If we keep in mind that we heal the world one person at time by simply offering a smile or exchanging kind words, we will refuse to allow our negative mindsets to stand in the way.  Keeping it in mind can be the hard part when we are focused on our ego and the bad feelings we are encountering, but if we take a deep breath and step away from the world for only a moment all will fall back to its rightful place.

While I am not always content with my job I do have to admit it brings many valuable learning opportunities.  Dealing with people isn't always easy especially when you are someone who is full of pride.  I am definitely one of those prideful people.  Yet, some days I find I am able to look away from my pride and see the beauty in making someone else feel great.  When I train a new employee, I explain the importance of customer service in our place of work.  I also explain to them that at some point in time they are going to deal with a disgruntled customer.  Many times over I have simply asked a customer to please be calm with me as I am going to fix their dilemma.  Not once have they continued to be so angry.  In fact, most times I can see the tension completely leave their body, and they leave me with kindness.  True customer service is the ability to put yourself in some one's shoes and make them feel better.  In turn, this could very well change the tides of their day.

In closing, I think I have found customer service to be a way of life instead of a job.  While it is important to focus on our own happiness and our own needs, it is also extremely beneficial to worry about the happiness and needs of others.  While I may not be great with this every day of my life, I am thrilled for those people who are capable of such a feat. 

We are all connected, and I am a firm believer in this unity of souls.  Recognizing it is only half of the lesson.

No comments: