Monday, August 9, 2010

Let It Be

I've grown to love the blog posts at Raptitude.com. The latest post thoroughly explained an ability I have on occasion to just let things be as they are and flow with it. In fact, today I did just that... all day long. Usually I can only make it last for a little while before I become frustrated over something I wish were different, like not wanting to be at work or having customers come to me when I'm attempting to read something or do some other task. That last part probably has more to do with my urge to focus on one thing at a time as opposed to multitasking, but in some ways it relates to the topic at hand.

Today it was ninety five degrees when noon hit (my lunch time.) I enjoy sitting outdoors for lunch so I can get some fresh air and take in a change of scenery. So, I went to the picnic table, which at noon is sitting in full sunlight. Of course, no one else was there. They all sit in the air conditioned break room or go to the shade of the bus stop. I chose to sit in the sunlight with the heat. It didn't bother me one bit. I enjoyed the sun and fresh air while eating my delicious lunch for twenty minutes of my half hour break. I simply took the moment for what it was. Sure, I was hot. Yeah, I started to break a sweat. And every second was worth it.

"It is what it is." Over the past couple years I have learned to embrace this very simple saying. When I can fully let go of outcomes and choose to be in the moment everything feels much more lively and full of joy. Doing the dishes, scooping the catbox, mowing the lawn, sweeping the floor... these are no longer household chores. These are simply things I enjoy doing now.

Frustration and anger only come if you choose to fight what is happening in this moment. But if you can allow it to be, the moment will pass quickly and you will find happiness in it while it is here.

Let it be.
Be alive.

No comments: